Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Olympic disappointment

All I can see on the news here is exaltations of Abhinav Bindra, the first Indian to ever win an Olympic gold medal. People here are so happy that last night a dessert plate was passed around the office. "What is this for?" I asked, expecting a child's fundraiser. "Abhinav's glorious victory!"

Where is this excitement for the U.S.? The last time I even watched was well over a decade ago. I feel like we are the L.A. Lakers of the Olympics (boooo), always winning the most golds and most overall medals. It's simply expected. Snore. When we win a gold, there is a collective sigh of relief instead of cheers of excitement. Holding on to titles is really boring. Toppling the dynastic titleholders is cheer-worthy.
There is something to be said for the underdog. No teams have more passion and faithfulness than those that perenially suck. (Mets fans? Blazers?) I have a strange wish for the upcoming Olympics: I hope we lose.

For now, I am cheering for India, where one guy's gold medal is cause for everyone's happiness and pride!

No comments: