Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Bombay Castaway

Feeling like Tom Hanks here. Marooned here for four days. Gave up and bought a $1150 ticket to NY.

I did a little better than some of my other American Delta standby companions (who ran out of money the first day of waiting, slept in the airport the first three nights, then I never saw them again), but still got the normal scam-outside-the-airport from the guys who "know a good hotel I can stay at."Even the police at the entrance try to pull the same thing. This place is unbelievable. I guess you could call it entrepreneurial or resourceful. I call it shady. The second place I stayed charged me $30/night, but it wasn't clear what the actual price was or if I had negotiated them down, until I observed a Nigerian-American getting the full scam-treatment at the front desk- we convened later that night to try to find out what was going on, and I found out they had demanded (and received) $180 from her. For a 1/2 star, worse-than-Hotel-6, mini-cockroached and enslummed hotel.

You win, India, you win. Just get me the hell out of here.

1 comment:

Ferrari said...

hey dude seems that u had another hickup with the plane flights though its too late to ask what happened? but still if u find time some time do let me know what exactly happened